Sunday, February 8, 2009

Reaching for the Star

The weather was ideal this weekend and we had to get outside. I searched through a million websites trying to find an intermediate level hike that was less than 5 miles long. I was sold when I learned that we could hike to the top of Mill Mountain and see the Roanoke Star (here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Mountain_Star). The Roanoke Star is this giant structure that sits atop a hill that looks over the city of Roanoke. It kind of reminds me of that Jesus statue that looks over Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, but a little less awesome. So we climbed to the top, took lots of pictures, and can't wait to share them with you.

My hand drawn map. Good to have just in case.

Our destination from kind of far away. Not a great pic, but hey, we were in the car. Give us a break

Ian excited to go hiking again. Can't you tell?

Half way there.

The Star!

The description!

The view!

An alternate view!

Ian city-gazing

A much deserved water break before we head back down

So hopefully the weather stays nice enough to keep up the outdoorsy stuff for a while. I will warn you that next weekend (valentine's day, remind you) is Ian's weekend, and he is talking up some Monster Truck Rally event. It may be a Valentine's Day to remember (or forget). See you then!

2 comments:

dude said...

that star is almost as cool as the giant cup of coffee billboard that larry mundale dared beaver cleaver to climb into...awesome!

Karleigh said...

I don't believe I caught that episode.